Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Fitness Key to Rugby: The 20-meter Sprint

Former Baracus teammate Andrew "The Hurricane" Gray hipped us to this study of fitness on Super 14 rugby players.

Most of you already knew this but the keys appear to be: 20-meter sprints, change of pace and standing up to punishment in the second half.

The other day I made myself do sprints. Now that I am an old fart I dislike sprints even more. What made it a little more interesting was just changing pace with kicking the ball every 20 meters. First one was a jog, hack the ball through on a medium, boot the ball the third time and sprint through the ball. Repeat. I then mixed in some pullups and situps and it sort of felt like I had done something.

We also know from the study that forwards work harder than backs but that backs just look better!( I always loved how forwards would hide their mistakes by just lingering at the back of the ruck or trying to lurk in the crowd and/or leaning on rucks.)

Check the fitness study.

No comments:

Post a Comment